French Major/Minor


General Requirements for All Majors. All students are required to fulfill General Education requirements described in the Academic Regulations and Degree Requirements section of the Catalog, in addition to coursework specified below.  Please see the Academic Plans of Study for more information.

Note: Introductory language courses may not be taken on a pass/no credit basis if they are being used to fulfill a college or departmental foreign language requirement.  Students majoring or minoring in Language may not take required courses in the Department on a pass/no credit basis.

Placement. All incoming students can take a UNC Charlotte Placement Exam in the language they wish to study, if they have had previous experience with that language.  Foreign language majors and minors are advised to take a placement exam to help them determine at what level they should begin studying their chosen language.

Writing-intensive courses (W). All foreign language majors must take at least one W course offered within the department.  Such courses include, but are not limited to:  FILM 3050, LACS 3050, LACS 3160, FREN 2209, GERM 3160, RUSS 3050, RUSS 3203, SPAN 3009, and SPAN 3019.

Teacher Licensure. The Department, in collaboration with the Department of Middle, Secondary, and K-12 Education, offers a program to prepare students for K-12 teacher licensure in North Carolina.  The student seeking licensure to teach a foreign language must fulfill the General Education requirements, the foreign language major, LACS 4200 and 4201, and all courses required for licensure by the College of Education.   Students planning to specialize in foreign language education should apply through the Coordinator for Foreign Language Education during the first semester of the sophomore year to obtain appropriate advising.  Licensure applications are the responsibility of the student and the Office of Student Academic Services in the College of Education.

Study Abroad Programs in French-Speaking Countries


THE FRENCH MINOR. A minor in French requires FREN 2201, 2202, 3201, 3202, 3203, 3207 and 3209.

CERTIFICATE IN BUSINESS LANGUAGES. The Certificate in Business Language program (CBL) provides classroom, overseas (optional), and practical training in French, German, or Spanish for international business, which may also be recognized by international examinations.  Beginning with an alternative fourth-semester course, the sequence continues with advanced-level course work that includes a two-semester component in advanced business French, German, or Spanish.  In order to be awarded the CBL, each course that counts for the certificate must be completed with at least a grade of B.  Majors in any field are welcome.  The Certificate in Business French is not available at this time.

CERTIFICATE IN TRANSLATING. A Certificate in Translating in the French-English sequence is earned  by completion of TRAN 3601,TRAN 4402, TRAN 4403 and TRAN 4404 with a grade of B or better in each course. The CT is not equivalent to a major in a foreign language; rather it represents a theory-based skill developed at the bachelor’s degree level.  The certificate may complement a major in any field, and is especially recommended for majors and minors in French.  All courses for the certificate involve, but are not limited to, translating into English from the source text.