UNC Charlotte’s Department of Languages and Culture Studies is hosting the 5th International Symposium on Language for Specific Purposes (ISLSP) and Centers for International Business Education and Research (CIBER) Business Language Conference at UNC Charlotte’s Center City. Join us as we take stock and move forward within Languages for Specific Purposes exploring developments and innovation in research, practice, and curriculum.
Pre-conference workshops begin on Thursday, March 5. Concurrent sessions begin Friday morning, March 6, and conclude Saturday afternoon, March 7.
For more information, including Call for Proposals, registration and accommodations, see Conference Logistics below.
Pre-conference Workshops (March 5, 2020): Registration for Pre-conference workshops will open on December 10, 2019. Pre-conference workshops will be offered on Thursday, March 5 including:
- “Integrating T&I into the Language Classroom" led by Christopher D. Mellinger (UNC Charlotte)
- “LSP in the Language Classroom" led by Diana Ruggiero (University of Memphis)
- "Heritage Language Learning in LSP Contexts" led by Laura Gasca Jimenez (Fairfield University)
- "What do Employers Want?: Finding the Sweet Spot for Language and Culture Providers" led by David Victor (Eastern Michigan University)
Click the following link to see complete abstracts and more information about our presenters: Pre-conference Workshops
Conference Program: Click the following link to download a copy of the tentative Conference Program: Conference Program
Keynote Speakers: We are honored to welcome Dr. Bill Rivers, Executive Director at the Joint National Committee for Languages in Washington, D.C. and Dr. Lourdes Sanchez-López from the University of Alabama, Birmingham, who will serve as keynote speakers for this year's conference. In addition, we are excited to host a CIBER keynote speaker (details forthcoming). Click the following link to see more information about our Keynote Speakers: Keynote Speakers
Sponsors: This event is made possible in part by the following sponsors: Symposium Sponsors
Call for Proposals: The deadline for proposal submission was August 1, 2019. We are no longer accepting proposals for this conference. Decisions will be sent to presenters no later than October 15, 2019.
Registration: Registration will open December 10, 2019
- Early-Bird Registration (December 10 - February 1): $150
- Late Registration (February 2 - March 1): $200
- Graduate Student Registration: $85
- Pre-conference Workshop: $50 each
On-site registration not available.
Accommodations: For details concerning accommodations and local arrangements, click the following link: Accommodations and local arrangements
Contact Us: For information on the scientific and organizing committees as well as for questions related to this event, please see the following page: Contact Information