Welcome to Classical Studies
Coursework in the Minor of Classical Studies focuses a student’s interest in ancient Mediterranean history and provides a foundation for advanced work in other academic disciplines as well as professional programs in law, medicine and finance. The Minor gives students an opportunity to develop a keener perception and better understanding of the cultural forces at work in the contemporary world. By presenting a broad selection of courses in the various disciplines of literature, philosophy and history, the minor provides students with a sound overview of Western antiquity.
The Classical Studies Program offers you the following opportunities:
The Classical Studies Minor requires a minimum of 18 credit hours of coursework distributed over at least three of the following five areas of study:
Greek or Latin Language at the elementary level, Ancient Material Culture (Anthropology), Ancient History (History), Greek and Roman Literature (English), Greek and Roman Thought (Philosophy and Political Science). Many Liberal Studies courses may count towards the minor by permission of the coordinator.
Students can explore the amazing ruins of Ancient Greece by studying abroad in Greece. UNC Charlotte offers several programs in Athens and other interesting Greek locations.
Among them is a four week summer program led by Professor Themis Kaniklidou of Hellenic American University. Students participate in the Walk Across Greece Course which will take them to several historically rich destinations across Greece, including Mycenae, Delphi, Epidaurus, Sparta, Mistras, Nauplio, and the islands of Hydra and Spetses. In addition, students will take an LBST course with Professor Kaniklidou on site. The program is designed for students interested in exploring Greece and learning about Greek culture, history, and mythology, students will take courses at the Athens campus of Hellenic American University.
For more information on Study Abroad Opportunities visit the Office of Education Abroad and find Your Program or contact the coordinator of the Minor in Classical Studies, Professor Dale Grote.
- Coble, Candace E., American Studies, Classical Studies
- Kinley, Christopher L., Classical Studies
- Lowman, Kristy A., American Studies, Classical Studies
- Barbee, Andrew B., Classical Studies, Anthropology
- Greene, Mary E., Classical Studies
- Hubbard, Kendall B., Classical Studies
- Kern, Katerina J., Classical Studies, Art History
- Wold, Derrick, Classical Studies
- Dalton, Mahalah D., Classical Studies
- Satterfield, Grace K., Classical Studies
- Wilds, Rebecca, Classical Studies
- Hamer, Mariel K., Architectural Hist & Criticism, Classical Studies